Friday, February 5, 2010

Here it is...

This is the beginning of my blog.

I am going to see how this goes, though I will be completely honest and say I am not sure what I should say.

I could give a huge story of my life, but that's boring and pointless so I will give a brief history about myself. Then we can go from there.

I go by nicknames instead of my real name because I don't like it so I won't respond to it. You can call me Mini (because I'm 4'11). I am diagnosed with Autsitic Disorder, considered to be "Moderately-Mildly" affected, I can talk and communicate with others (I have been told I have really good verbal skills, but I have a very hard time expressing myself and communicating with most people unless I have a purpose or am talking about my special interest.. or know the topic.) I also have ADD-inattentive type (whatever it's called at least.), and have a Sensory Disorder. I do not think that Autism is a pretty pink bunny, and I do not think it's the cool thing to have. I do not believe in speaking for other Autistics, because I do not know how they are feeling and I would not know what is best for them.

What I would like is services for adults, and more funding for them and children as well (since some places do not get proper help, causing a lot of problems for families affected by Autism..) I don't have a job, (though I did have one, but make no mistake I would have a meltdown everyday and have serious self-injurious behavior like biting myself.) I have problems, and I need help that I am not getting. I am disabled, and I have no shame in saying that. I cannot understand how people say Autism is not a disability, if it weren't.. then there wouldn't be a NEED for a diagnosis or name or whatever.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world "Mini." It gets easier as you get more into it; I think it has become a bit of an obsession for me.

    I've been diagnosed with both Autistic Disorder and Asperger's because I am high functioning and my psychiatrist wants to do one of those long evaluations to figure more out about me and where I am on "the spectrum." It may or may not happen. As a child and adolescent I was pretty severe, severe enough to have to be sent to an institution. Now I'm not sure if my autism is mild, moderate or severe and my "savant skills" just mask it and because I have developed and become higher functioning (like many, if not most, autistic people do.)

    We have similar problems about getting and holding a job. I currently volunteer at a horticulture department 2 days a week for a total of 14 hours a week. My psych had to prescribe me Ativan to help decrease my "stimming" and possible SI.

    I can't get help, either. Oddly enough we are both probably considered too "high-functioning" since we can type well.

    ReplyDelete